Monday, September 12, 2016

Menu Monday - Quinoa Lentil Chili Recipe

It's Menu Monday or the day in which I contemplate what my family will eat this week.  We have most of the leftovers eaten from the freezer so it's back to the pantry.  I may do a bit of restocking in the pantry this month.  The freeze on our funds is over, the eBay case that went into dispute was found in our favor so I no longer need to sit on all our extra funds.  

Breakfast:  yogurt with oats, nuts and dried fruits, eggs and toast, breakfast burritos

Lunch and Dinners:  Spicy Quinoa Chili, beans on toast,  turkey sandwiches,  beans and rice

Snacks and Desserts:  ice cream, fried bread with honey, rhubarb crisp

I decided to share my recipe for Spicy Quinoa Chili.  We love it and it's healthy and frugal.  Be warned that it makes a large pot!  I like eat it as a dip with tortilla chips but this week we are eating it over fried bread, topped with shredded cheese and raw onions.


Spicy Quinoa Lentil Chili (adapted from gracefulabandon.com)

1/2 TBSP oil - I like coconut oil for high heat
1/4 cup diced onion (or dehydrated from food storage)
1 1/2 cup lentils - rinsed and soaked if you remember
1 cup quinoa - rinsed
28 oz crushed tomatoes
1/2 - 1 TBSP chili powder - but I use more
1 tsp cayenne or to taste - I use more
1/2 TBSP tumeric
1 TBSP smoked paprika
1 tsp pepper
1-3 tsp salt - to taste depends on your the broth you use
1/2 TBSP oregano
8 cups broth or water or a mix.  
1 lb ground meat or 2 cups pre cooked beans

I just dump everything in my crock pot in whatever order I find my ingredients.  Here is the instructions if you want to make it on the stove top.

1.  Heat soup pot with oil, add minced garlic and onion.  Stir until fragrant.
2.  Add in quinoa cook with garlic and onions for 2 minutes.
3.  Stir in crushed tomatoes and add in lentils.
4.  Add in spices and stir.
5.  Add in 8 cups of liquids.
6.  Add in ground meat or beans
7.  Bring to boil and reduce to a simmer for 45 minutes.  This makes a thick chili and if you would like it thinner add more liquids.

Optional toppings:  sour cream or greek yogurt, cheese, onions, parsley, jalapenos

No comments:

Post a Comment