Friday, September 2, 2016

Frugal Friday - Steel Cut Oats and the Wonder Oven

Oatmeal is a staple in our diet and I rotate different recipes throughout the month.  Typically we eat overnight oats made with yogurt, dried fruit, chia seeds and a sprinkle of nuts or quick oats made in the microwave.  This week I made steel cut oats in my wonder oven.

I adore my wonder oven.  I use to dread making grains because I often would burn the bottom.  With the wonder oven all my grains, even jasmine rice, cook up perfectly with out burning and with very little effort or fuel.  I bought my wonder oven from Amazon but you can find instructions online to make your own using a rubbermaid container and bean bag pellets.

To make steel cut oats I use one cup oats, one cup milk, one cup of water and some dried fruit.  This week it was currants.
Bring to a boil on your stove top and cover.  Simmer five minutes with the lid on.  Place you pot in the wonder oven, tuck it in and forget about it for a few hours or overnight.

Perfectly cooked steel cut oats.  I will sprinkle in  nuts and drizzle syrup or honey on it before eating.  If I feel the need to add protein, I will stir in some protein powder. 
This recipe makes us 3-4 servings.  The put the leftovers in the fridge and heat up in the microwave for quick meals during the week.

Lovin' life with comfort food and my wonder oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment