Monday, October 3, 2016

Menu Monday - Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe

It is an absolutely beautiful day here on the Kenai Peninsula!  My chores are finished and homeschool is done for the day.  Time to sit down and write out my menu for the week and watch some YouTube videos.

This week I am still cleaning out my mother in law's freezer and fridge.  Later this week, Stormy and I are going away for a week for family birthday parties!, leaving the mechanic home alone and fending for himself once the leftovers run out.

Here is my plan for the week:

Breakfasts: Eggs! must eat eggs because the chickens keep popping them out.  There is also some cottage cheese and yogurt that needs to be eaten.

Lunch/Dinners:  leftover spaghetti from the freezer, beans and toast and I plan on making a big pot of chili before I leave.

Snack/Dessert:  I made a pumpkin cake today that should last until I leave.  The mechanic will be happy eating peanut butter  and jelly while I am gone.

Virtually a cooking free week!  I do need to make some bread but I am out of my favorite organic, unbleached flour so I may just buy a loaf to be eaten for the next week or so.  
I can't leave you without one of my favorite recipes.  This soup recipe is better than the canned type.  I enjoy adding some Israeli Couscous to mine.
 
The Best Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe 
1 TBSP olive oil
1 medium onion - chopped
1 garlic clove - crushed
3 cups Veggie stock (chicken stock is good too)
28 oz crushed tomatoes
1 TBSP tomato paste
pinch of sugar
2 bay leaves
Salt and Pepper to taste
Fresh Basil (opt)

Heat oil is a skillet.  Add onion and garlic and saute over medium heat until soft.

Transfer to a crock pot.  Add stock, tomatoes, paste, sugar, bay leaves and salt and pepper.

Cook on low 6-8 hours.  Adjust seasonings and remove bay leaves.  Blend until smooth with immersion blender or transfer over to upright blender.

Garnish with optional basil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment