Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Homestead Happenings - First Snow!

I am home after my mini-vacation.  There was a new grandbaby born and it was high time to go and meet him.  Stormy and I hopped on the ferry and cruised over to Valdez and spent a week snuggling the baby, going to a birthday party and visiting.  Next we took a road trip to Anchorage to spend the weekend and another birthday party.  It was a blast and I am missing them but content to be back at home.
Stormy on the ferry to Valdez
We had our first snow yesterday.  It's already melting but it was pretty to see.  Unfortunately the chickens hated it.  They refused to get their feet cold and I think for some of them, it was their first experience with snow.  The chicks didn't care and wanted out, but their over protective mamas kept them inside. 
 
Chicks are almost feathered out and growing big!


Strawberry-Cranberry Crisp

I have been slowing catching up with my chores.  Today I made yogurt, bread and a strawberry-cranberry crisp.  Yesterday I made beans, steel cut oats and some noodles for Stormy.  My fridge is stocked up again.  The mechanic did a great job surviving without me.  He mainly ate canned beans and scrambled eggs so I am itching to give him a bit more variety and fatten him back up.  
 
I came home determined to eat for better health.  I'm not worried about the foods we eat because the majority of what we eat is whole foods.  What I need to work on is how much of said food I eat.  What I am noticing is that I eat according to the clock and not on a hunger scale.  So now I am trying to wait until I am hungry to eat, eat slowly and eat what I am craving.  Hopefully that will get me back on track.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment