Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Highwaymen

Sometimes insomnia is sweet.  Like last night, when it was just such a push to get a resistant Stormy to bed.  Hubby went to bed early, I mean like 8:00 early and it seemed like a good idea for all of us to get some extra rest.  Finally, after extra stories, Stormy was in her own bed and I am wide awake.

Since the hubster was snoring soundly I didn't think he would mind if I surfed YouTube on my tablet.  I am so happy I did, because I found a concert that flooded me with childhood memories.   With every song sung, I found myself remembering truck rides with my dad, dinners at the lodge with the jukebox blasting, school dances and hanging out in the kitchen when we had company over listening to them pick at their guitar.  Listening to this concert was just like spending an evening with old friends.


I wish that I could have gone to The Highwaymen concert.  Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson together are the best.  I truly miss music like they sing.  It was music with heart in it.  It was music about things that mattered, life and love and freedoms and events.  It wasn't afraid to mention Jesus or honor our soldiers.  I know there was plenty of love gone wrong songs but even those seemed real.

I don't listen to popular music anymore.  It's agenda seems to be to promote sex and drugs, and the artists seem to be chosen, not for their talent, but other, er, abilities.  Miley Cyrus comes to mind as I type this out.  

So I applaud those men.  Thank you for sharing your music even though it meant baring your soul.

Lovin' Life with a tear in my eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment